Batter up! In our inaugural episode, Paul and Chris talk about how they first got hooked on uniforms and logos when they were kids, and how that early passion led them to pursue their unusual career paths.
They also discuss their friendship, why they decided to start this podcast, and what their plans are for this new collaborative project.
- Here’s a photo of Chris and Paul’s epic visit to Katz’s Deli in 2014, which cemented their friendship.
- Chris is from Canada, where McDonald’s outlets have a maple leaf at the center of the golden arches.
- Here are the 10 issues of Paul’s zine, Beer Frame: The Journal of Inconspicuous Conumption, which he published from 1993 through 2000.
- As a kid, Chris thought the Toronto Marlboros’ logo was actually a Maple Leafs logo with a crown that was only visible in person, not on TV.
- The very first Uni Watch column appeared in The Village Voice in 1999. For the most part, it was a short column in those days.
- Chris has always been annoyed by the orange shoulder striping on the Anaheim Ducks’ uniforms, while Paul is annoyed by the Pittsburgh Pirates’ “P” logo because the upper-left corner isn’t pointy.